How important is it to maintain a statement of personal financial data?
Do you know what is your current financial worth? No, then it is time you prepare your Net Worth Statement. Spreadsheet123 brings a simple yet effective template for calculating Net worth statement.
To lead a prosperous life we need to have control over our finances. We have lot of assets but even more liabilities to cater to. Once we prepare a net worth statement; we get a clear picture of our financial status. The statement is really required if we are planning to apply for a loan or even if planning to do some investments. The financial institutes might ask for the net worth statement before considering your application.
Once you have your financial data recorded for two broad heads that is Assets and Liabilities, you can quickly calculate the net worth of an individual.
Net Worth Statementfor Excel® 2003+ & Google Docs
How to Prepare your Net Worth Statement
Personal financial statement provides a realistic listing of the assets we own and the debts we owe. Net worth statement should only be used to record the details of personal assets and liabilities. The business assets or liabilities details should not be added into the net worth statement. The amount entered for calculating the assets valuation should include the exact value that you would earn on selling the asset in the market.
You can records the Name of the individual whose statement we are preparing and the Date when prepared it. Country specific settings allow us to select a currency type from the drop down menu. The sheet has two broad categories of financial information:
- Assets: what you own
- Liabilities: what you owe
Assets and liabilities are further segregated under various heads. The assets could include the cash, investments, etc. whereas the liabilities could include loans, debts, etc. The two broad divisions of financial information are further sub-divided into various categories as follows:
- Cash & Bank Accounts: details of cash in hand, cheque accounts, savings account, money market funds, cash value of life insurance, etc.
- Investments (Market value): details of certificates of deposit, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, annuities, pension plans, etc.
- Personal Property (Present value): details of automobiles, home furnishing, appliance, furniture, collections, jewellery, etc
- Current Debts: stores record of debts like household, medical, credit card, bank taxes, legal, etc.
- Mortgage: details of any kind of mortgage debts like home, land, etc.
- Loans: value of debts like bank loans, automobile loan, education loan, life insurance loan, personal loan, etc.
Total for each sub-categories is calculated separately in the statement, this helps to analyze the category which needs some financial revamping. The Net Total Assets amount is displayed below the assets table and the Net Liabilities amount is displayed under the Liabilities Table.
Template automatically calculates the Net worth statement by calculating the difference between the Total Assets and the Total Liabilities. Whenever any financial institute asks for your net worth statement simply print the page and sign it under before dispatching the statement to the concerned department. By signing we pledge that the data of the sheet is updated and correct.
We recommend you not to change or delete the pre-defined formulas of the template. By doing so the entire template would get altered as the various fields have interconnected formulas and the results in such a scenario would be doubtful.
Function used in template
- SUM(number1, [number2], [number3], [number4], ...)